Hannah Abdulhak writes:
Spring Racing is in full swing, which means you have undoubtedly scrolled through Instagram only to find a plethora of fashionistas snapped looking nothing short of impeccable on the race course while having the best time of their life! After all, Spring Racing is one the most anticipated and exciting events of the year. With such a focus on fashion, planning your outfit may get overwhelming.
So in an effort to make it easier, I’ve compiled my top 5 Spring Racing tips to not only make you look polished but also have you feeling your absolute best at the Spring Racing Carnival!
Stay healthy and hydrated
Firstly, no matter how stylish you look, if you don’t feel great, you won’t enjoy the event. Therefore, make sure you follow these crucial tips to remain healthy and hydrated on the day!
- Often enough you are crammed for time while prepping for races and forget to have breakfast, so ensure you eat a breakfast full of whole food. This will not only keep you fuller for longer, but it will also fuel your body, allowing you to stay energized throughout the whole day.
- This is probably the most crucial tip, you must drink plenty of water before and while you are attending the races. You’ll be exposed to the sun all day so its best to stay hydrated to prevent headaches and nausea from ruining your day.
- Also, we can sometimes feel pressured to eat whatever we are offered at the racing events but try and opt for healthier choices when possible, such as salads and oven baked food over deep fried and greasy food. You’ll be feeling much better with your choices at the end of the day!
Match your accessories
The key to pulling a look together is all in the accessories, particularly millinery. Whether you choose to wear a hat, a fascinator or a headband, your millenary will be the item that will make your outfit unique to you. In saying this, if you do choose to go bold in the millinery department, let your other accessories compliment it rather than compete with it. Think dainty rings, simple studs and simple bag that will help elevate your outfit while allowing the dress and headpiece to standout.
Stay true to your style
Trends are a fabulous way to look stylish, but they can also have you looking like every other person on the day. To avoid having a “who wore it better” incident, keep your outfit true to your style. Some of the ways you can do this is:
- Buy online – ASOS, Nasty Gal and The Iconic are just a few of the online stores that have a wide variety of dresses to choose from.
- Wear a two piece set – a mid-length skirt and structured top follow the dress code whilst remaining unique to you.
- Pulling out a vintage dress from your mums closet or even from a vintage shop (keeping in mind the dress code).
Taking your shoes off has never been appropriate and the Spring Races is no exception, no matter how much pain your feet are in! Taking into consideration that you’ll be standing a lot, ensure you choose footwear that looks good, but more importantly is comfortable enough to stand in for the whole day. A nice wedge, block heel or even kitten heel are all practical yet still trendy shoes that will keep your outfit looking fabulous!
Follow dress codes
Each Spring Racing day has a different dress code, make sure to follow the basic dress codes for each event.
- Oaks Day – This day is all about the ladies, so make sure you get your femininity on. Think soft colour palettes, intricate lace, silk fabrics and shiny embellishments which will work perfectly for the day.
- Derby Day – Black and white is the colour code for Derby Day so get experimental and try different fabrics and cuts.
- Melbourne Cup Day – Go bold or go home – this is the day to wear your brightest and loudest outfit!
And the most important tip, don’t forget to enjoy the day while enjoying a glass of Rose!